Friday, February 10, 2006

It's the final countdown!

Tonight, Fox airs all four remaining Arrested Development episodes. All together. Tonight. Versus the Olympic hoo-ah thing.

Unfortunately, it's a fitting end (?) to the relationship between Fox and AD. Although the show has won critical acclaim and has a fierce cult following, Fox has seemed indifferent to its fortunes--changing its time slot, failing to promote it, and cutting back its order of new episodes for this season. Which brings us to this point, the one where AD fans are wondering what's going to happen next. It's been reported that ABC and Showtime have expressed interest in picking the show up, and it's not been officially canceled by Fox. However, it's clear that Fox doesn't believe in the show, so it's a pretty good bet that tonight's appearance will be AD's last on that network.

It's frustrating when good new shows can't seem to get any traction. However, it's different than it was ten years ago, or even five, when a struggling show would be canceled and that would pretty much be that. These days, there's a decent chance a cable network will breathe new life into a show left for dead by another network. And even if the show can't be revived, at least the DVDs are readily available--a much better option than hoping someone picks up the show in syndication.

So we'll tune in tonight for The Last Huzzah and hope maybe it's not really the last.

P.S. Hey, next time you want to say "kudos," say "plaudits" instead. It'll make people think you're smart or edgy or something.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Undeclared is the best FOX show to get dumped.

End of discussion.

February 10, 2006  
Blogger Jackie said...

We were having a discussion?

I never saw that show. I didn't like the commercials.

Andy Richter Controls the Universe is yet another original comedy that Fox killed off before it had a chance to gain a following.

February 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy Richter rocks.

February 10, 2006  
Blogger paigniac said...

even though I also own all Undeclared episodes on DVD, AD was/is much better...sorry

February 11, 2006  
Blogger paigniac said...

even though I own all Undeclared episodes and agree on it's hilarity, yo uare wrong Mr. pck....so very, very wrong

*drops pennies from heaven*

February 11, 2006  
Blogger Jackie said...

Let's just remember it's pck we're talking about. It's kinda redundant to say he's wrong. :D

February 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer Cheruth Richter

February 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AD was never a FOX show. It's too intelligent for a FOX audience... and they know it. At the last affiliate promotion conference, the head of promotion said... and I'm paraphrasing, "This is not a FOX show. I'm not sure why we even picked it up."

NBC NEEDS this show. Put it with The Office and My Name is Earl, and you've got a dominant comedy block. I don't think this is an ABC or a CBS show. I think if it doesn't go NBC (which it won't) it should go to Showtime where they have more creative freedom.

February 14, 2006  
Blogger Jackie said...

The idea of the show being on a cable network is interesting because they could get away with more. In this case, I think the limited context of network shows actually works well for AD...they've gotten some comic mileage out of said limitations (e.g., long strings of profanities bleeped).

I disagree that AD wasn't a "Fox show." Seems to me that Fox has been the network most willing to take chances on odd comedies (AD, the aforementioned Andy Richter, and the Simpsons and In Living Color were pretty edgy in their day), even if they're not necessarily willing to stick with them.

February 14, 2006  
Blogger Danimal said...

Funny, I saw the last episode and didn't even realize it was the last episode at the time. I was at my mom's house and it was her intro to the show. I'm gonna have to check those out on DVD as I'm pretty sure I missed a great show.

February 16, 2006  
Blogger paigniac said...

hey slacker....this was a good read last week!

February 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

plaudits to your bloging

February 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shhhh...this blog is sleeping.

February 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home