Happy Anniversary to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! (And Dan, too. :))
Wow, 1992 was a long time ago. We had no clue what the Internets was, and certainly didn't feel the need to have it in our homes. We were buying CDs exclusively, but had not yet thrown away all our cassette tapes. Mobile phones existed only in the movies and in rich people's cars. Barry Bonds was a star but less roid-y, and the Bulls didn't suck. Bette Midler serenaded Johnny Carson gentle into that good night (not THAT good night) and Rush Limbaugh was just becoming a household name. The Simpsons was still a new show, as was Seinfeld. As a nation pondered the promises of Bush I, Bill Clinton, and Ross Perot, Rodney King was out on the field pleading for some kind of sanity.
And on a Friday evening, with 200 of our favorite people at the time (and family, too) and a whole lotta candles, a couple of 22-year-old kids tied their futures together. Fourteen years later, I realize that we didn't have a clue what we were doing. But I also realize that we knew then what we know now, and what we seemed to know from the time we met: just that we should be together.
Wow, 1992 was a long time ago. We had no clue what the Internets was, and certainly didn't feel the need to have it in our homes. We were buying CDs exclusively, but had not yet thrown away all our cassette tapes. Mobile phones existed only in the movies and in rich people's cars. Barry Bonds was a star but less roid-y, and the Bulls didn't suck. Bette Midler serenaded Johnny Carson gentle into that good night (not THAT good night) and Rush Limbaugh was just becoming a household name. The Simpsons was still a new show, as was Seinfeld. As a nation pondered the promises of Bush I, Bill Clinton, and Ross Perot, Rodney King was out on the field pleading for some kind of sanity.
And on a Friday evening, with 200 of our favorite people at the time (and family, too) and a whole lotta candles, a couple of 22-year-old kids tied their futures together. Fourteen years later, I realize that we didn't have a clue what we were doing. But I also realize that we knew then what we know now, and what we seemed to know from the time we met: just that we should be together.


6 Comments:
Awww.....Happy Anniversary. I think that is the same weekend that my girls made their first trip from Oklahoma to Illinois (for their baptisms).
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Congrats. My parents just celebrated their 45th this weekend.
let's see, may 1992...i was a senior in high school - about to be dumped by my hs girlfriend; playing my last season of HS baseball; soon to meet a gal that i would be crushing on for the next two years...
now we are laughing about a website called "hotchickswithdouchebags"
i don't know that i'd ever even heard the term "douchebag" back in ninety-two.
Happy Anniversary!
I was about to graduate 8th grade in 1992.
Congrats!
Where was I? Must have been in Bloomington somewhere, wandering aimlessly....Happy Anniversary!
Post a Comment
<< Home