You know what's freaking cool? Being a 70-year-old theological thinker who's willing to change a long-held position.
My mother-in-law says that as we age, we don't change, we just become "more so"...that is, our peculiarities solidify and intensify so that we're increasingly ourselves, only more obnoxiously so. I hate to say that it seems like there's a lot of truth to this.
That's why it's so refreshing to see an older, conservative man adopting a different position that many in his circle will decry as "liberal." I hope that I'm able to carry that kind of humility and intellectual curiosity into my last day.
(Incidentally, his new position is entirely correct and will ultimately be seen that way by the majority of Christians. Not that I'm intractable on this, or any, point of doctrine. I'm still pretty young, right?)
Peace out, kids--have a fresh weekend!
P.S. Yes, I am stealing material again from Brant. And props to my homie Don Follis, who wrote the linked reflection.
My mother-in-law says that as we age, we don't change, we just become "more so"...that is, our peculiarities solidify and intensify so that we're increasingly ourselves, only more obnoxiously so. I hate to say that it seems like there's a lot of truth to this.
That's why it's so refreshing to see an older, conservative man adopting a different position that many in his circle will decry as "liberal." I hope that I'm able to carry that kind of humility and intellectual curiosity into my last day.
(Incidentally, his new position is entirely correct and will ultimately be seen that way by the majority of Christians. Not that I'm intractable on this, or any, point of doctrine. I'm still pretty young, right?)
Peace out, kids--have a fresh weekend!
P.S. Yes, I am stealing material again from Brant. And props to my homie Don Follis, who wrote the linked reflection.


1 Comments:
Cool that you know Don, too!
I love the idea that a 70+ year-old guy is willing to sacrifice some reputation, in his pursuit of what's right.
Of course, I can't know for sure that's what happened here, but I love the idea. You hope someone that age has accumulated wisdom, and seen the folly of seeking applause and significance among peers.
But then we see our politicians, and we're skeeved-out.
Brant
Post a Comment
<< Home