Most of us are thinking about 09.11.01 today. I'm no exception...I find myself slightly weepy and unable to think about it for very long, as if seeing one grieving parent will provoke a sobfest. (Then again, I feel that way lots of the time--thanks, little fetus!)
I do remember what I was doing when I first heard the news (Dan and I were in a staff meeting with Phil, the senior pastor of the church where Dan was youth pastor) and what we did that day (watched cable TV and the Internets for constant news coverage). What sticks in my mind most, though, is how perfect the weather was that day. The weather in Ohio was the same as in New York that day--sunny and clear, temps in the 70s--the kind of day that makes you feel great to be alive, positively idyllic. There was, and still is, something sickening about the contrast between the beauty of the world we inhabit and the horror we're capable of bringing to it.
I do remember what I was doing when I first heard the news (Dan and I were in a staff meeting with Phil, the senior pastor of the church where Dan was youth pastor) and what we did that day (watched cable TV and the Internets for constant news coverage). What sticks in my mind most, though, is how perfect the weather was that day. The weather in Ohio was the same as in New York that day--sunny and clear, temps in the 70s--the kind of day that makes you feel great to be alive, positively idyllic. There was, and still is, something sickening about the contrast between the beauty of the world we inhabit and the horror we're capable of bringing to it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home