I'd like to interrupt this lengthy silence in order to remark that nearly 25 years after its release, Duran Duran's 80s music still kicks all manner of booty. Listening to it makes me feel great about life in general and makes me wish to high heaven I could dance.Now that I think about it, lots of the music I loved in the 80s still sounds great to me, even though my taste is generally very different now than it was then. Whether it's because the music was actually good or because it sparks an emotional response, I'm not sure--probably a little bit of both.
Considering that I was listening pretty much exclusively to pop at that time and don't listen to any pop now, I'd think there would be lots of stuff I liked then that I am embarrassed by now. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Kajagoogoo? Yes please. ABC? Sure! Thompson Twins? More more more.
On the other hand, there's a whole set of music that I didn't get into back then that I can't get enough of now (*cough* U2 *cough*--although in fairness to me, I recognized the awesomeness of very early U2 even as a junior high girl--it's just that unlike the rest of the world, I tuned out around the Joshua Tree time).
I gotta get back to work and don't have a decent closing in mind for this post, so please enjoy this short 80s music trivia game and check back with me in another three weeks or so. ;)


3 Comments:
Lost in the discussion of Duran Duran's awesomeness: The fact that both side projects were also excellent (Power Station, Arcadia).
PS - 8/10. Metallica looked different then, and stupid Kim Wilde.
Awesome blog! I feel the same way. That's why you can find me hanging off of the radio, listening to the Flashback Lunchtime show (or whatever it's actually called!) on 94.5. Did someone say something about Jessie's Girl?! It's cliché, but it's my fave song that always makes me stop, enjoy, and dance! PS-It's ok that I have the soundtrack to Footloose in my car, right?!
Weird: I've downloaded one song in the last couple months. It was "Ordinary World."
It's post-big-time for Duran Duran, but a tremendous pop song. I think they were great, too. At least our poser-boys, back in our day, played their own dang instruments. And the production was stellar.
Post a Comment
<< Home