You know who's still got it? Simon LeBon, that's who.Sure, the years have made him kinda doughy, like most fiftysomething dudes. But this right here looks a lot like the olden days...I can just hear him singing The Reflex!
Well, no, really I couldn't, so I went to YouTube to watch the video. This video wasn't exactly their high point conceptually, but it didn't get much better visually, at least from a fourteen-year-old girl's perspective.
Also, I love this song, although I never understood what the heck it meant. It sounded cool, the video was fun to watch, and they look great, and isn't that what Duran Duran was all about?
Yes, that's exactly what they were all about, even from their very early days. I could've told you they were music video pioneers, but looking at this now, over 20 years after it was made, I'm nevertheless struck by how ahead of the times they were. I'm also struck by how hott Simon LeBon looks. Good night, no wonder I crushed so hard on him. And no wonder the video's basically an homage to his sexy self, leaving spare seconds to the poor other dudes in the band. "Hey Simon, thanks for letting us sit on these tree limbs for a few seconds while you vamp your way through the entire song!"
You might think it's a little ridiculous for me to dedicate two posts in a half-year to Duran Duran, but then I might think you're a big jerk who should quit whining if you don't like it. Wait, I didn't mean it, come back! I've got other 80s videos for you!
I must have gotten sick of this song at some point in the 80s, but now I love it as much as the first time I heard it. It has a certain emotional quality that really evokes that time period for me.
Same here.
And because I could just keep watching and posting 80s videos all day, but then I couldn't get any work done, I'd better wrap it up here with something in the awesome-song-with-a-brutal-video genre. In case the orgiastic feast didn't clue you in as to the song's meaning, the cat walking around should remove all doubt. Hey thanks, I needed to be hit over the head this morning!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home