When I was pregnant, I really hated that phase in the beginning where I’d start to get fat, but didn’t really look *pregnant* yet. I remember wishing I could wear a sign that said, “I’m pregnant! I have a reason to look like this! I’m not getting fat, I swear!”
At least in that case the truth is simple, and it “absolved” me. Of the horrible crime of looking chunkier than I normally might.
I’m having to admit to people now that my husband left me and our children. As in, he’s living elsewhere and I’m taking care of a toddler and baby by myself. As in, he wants to end our marriage. As in, if I had to fill out some long form that asked me my marital status, I’d have to check the “Separated” box if they offered one.
And I really wish I had a sign to wear that says, “I’m a good wife, I swear! Or at least, I really have tried, I really have! And he’s not as awful as this makes him seem, he’s not! He’s a brilliant, wonderful, deeply troubled person! I’ve called him the foulest things recently, but YOU shut up about him!”
The truth is not so simple, and it doesn’t absolve me or anyone.
The truth is that he wants to be separated and I don’t. Any “truth” beyond this gets very murky.
Come to think of it, even that one thing isn’t exactly black and white. I want to be separated inasmuch as I don’t really think it’s a positive thing for him to be around me and the girls in his current condition. The night he left, he was unkind to all of us, and if he hadn’t voluntarily moved out I would’ve probably suggested it.
Our relationship has been bad for several years, but neither of us has done much to deal with our issues. I’ve suggested a therapeutic approach a few times, but that’s a non-starter with him. Which has left us doing nothing, continuing a sort of dysthymic coexistence that is occasionally interrupted by some good sex (or so I thought), happy moments with our children, and, more rarely, frightening battles in which all the monsters lurking beneath the dark waters surface at once in a show of power.
My assessment of our situation—and keep in mind what I said about the truth being murky—is that his thinking is disordered now to the point that he either can’t or doesn’t want to make decisions with anything other than his own overwhelming needs in mind. There are a hundred unassailable rational and moral arguments against the way he is choosing, but none of them carry any weight with him. Again, this is MY perception, my best guess at making sense of what has happened here.
I am a pretty resilient person. I attribute this mostly to losing my brother to a tragic accident when I was 15; although my grief process was not exactly exemplary, 22 years later I can say that I learned how to hurt and keep going. I value rational thought; I value persistence in the face of adversity; I value defeating crippling emotions; I value the ability to find stability in the midst of chaos, which actually requires an ability to embrace the chaos.
So, I’m going to be all right. I can’t control Dan, and I wouldn’t want to if I could. No matter what happens to my marriage, my life is going to be good. God has always taken care of me and my girls, and he always will.
But lately, I feel like I’m dying pretty much all the time, so I will take any prayers, kind words, or other measures of support you want to offer.
At least in that case the truth is simple, and it “absolved” me. Of the horrible crime of looking chunkier than I normally might.
I’m having to admit to people now that my husband left me and our children. As in, he’s living elsewhere and I’m taking care of a toddler and baby by myself. As in, he wants to end our marriage. As in, if I had to fill out some long form that asked me my marital status, I’d have to check the “Separated” box if they offered one.
And I really wish I had a sign to wear that says, “I’m a good wife, I swear! Or at least, I really have tried, I really have! And he’s not as awful as this makes him seem, he’s not! He’s a brilliant, wonderful, deeply troubled person! I’ve called him the foulest things recently, but YOU shut up about him!”
The truth is not so simple, and it doesn’t absolve me or anyone.
The truth is that he wants to be separated and I don’t. Any “truth” beyond this gets very murky.
Come to think of it, even that one thing isn’t exactly black and white. I want to be separated inasmuch as I don’t really think it’s a positive thing for him to be around me and the girls in his current condition. The night he left, he was unkind to all of us, and if he hadn’t voluntarily moved out I would’ve probably suggested it.
Our relationship has been bad for several years, but neither of us has done much to deal with our issues. I’ve suggested a therapeutic approach a few times, but that’s a non-starter with him. Which has left us doing nothing, continuing a sort of dysthymic coexistence that is occasionally interrupted by some good sex (or so I thought), happy moments with our children, and, more rarely, frightening battles in which all the monsters lurking beneath the dark waters surface at once in a show of power.
My assessment of our situation—and keep in mind what I said about the truth being murky—is that his thinking is disordered now to the point that he either can’t or doesn’t want to make decisions with anything other than his own overwhelming needs in mind. There are a hundred unassailable rational and moral arguments against the way he is choosing, but none of them carry any weight with him. Again, this is MY perception, my best guess at making sense of what has happened here.
I am a pretty resilient person. I attribute this mostly to losing my brother to a tragic accident when I was 15; although my grief process was not exactly exemplary, 22 years later I can say that I learned how to hurt and keep going. I value rational thought; I value persistence in the face of adversity; I value defeating crippling emotions; I value the ability to find stability in the midst of chaos, which actually requires an ability to embrace the chaos.
So, I’m going to be all right. I can’t control Dan, and I wouldn’t want to if I could. No matter what happens to my marriage, my life is going to be good. God has always taken care of me and my girls, and he always will.
But lately, I feel like I’m dying pretty much all the time, so I will take any prayers, kind words, or other measures of support you want to offer.


15 Comments:
You've got my support, prayers, thoughts, all that. Stay strong, and give those girls big, big hugs all the time.
I'm so sorry to read this. I barely know you, but have been impressed from what I've seen and read. Best of luck to you, to the girls, and to Dan, and my wishes that all of you make it through this dark time back into a brighter place.
1: The LORD hear thee in the day of trouble; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee;
2: Send thee help from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion;
3: Remember all thy offerings, and accept thy burnt sacrifice; Selah.
4: Grant thee according to thine own heart, and fulfill all thy counsel.
5: We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the LORD fulfill all thy petitions.
6: Now know I that the LORD saveth his anointed; he will hear him from his holy heaven with the saving strength of his right hand.
7: Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
8: They are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and stand upright.
9: Save, LORD: let the king hear us when we call.
Not to sound like an idiot, but I really love you.
J I am really sorry to hear this. I actually had to read the first few paragraphs over about five times for it to sink in. Like DT said I barely know you but it's still shocking and heartbreaking. I am definitely praying for your well being. I know you will be okay but every little bit helps, right? Email if you'd like to chat or anything.
Wow, I am so sorry Jackie. In our limited relationship you have impressed me as a very resiliant and loving person. I can't imagine how hard this situation must be on you and your daughters. But I know your daughters will be fine with such a wonderful mother.
I hope that whether you're able to work things out with Dan or not, that you all be able to find peace and happier day in the future.
I'll pray for you all.
Jackie, that was such a heartfelt post. I really hope that this gets easier for you. You are a rock for your babies, that goes without saying. But I hope that you have someone who will be there for you while you work through it.
This is heartbreaking.
I admire your desire to be fair, too. This all has to be incredibly difficult.
So sorry to read of this.
Brant
Wow, Jackie. I'm so sorry to read this. From day 1 on the IB you impressed me with both your strength and wisdom. You and the girls are definitely in my thoughts.
Jackie -
I'm so, so sorry to read this. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
holy hell, you're 37?
you know my thoughts on your current sucky sit. hang in there, kiddo.
J,
I'm so sorry you're going through this, but I know you'll continue doing a great job with those precious babies even as you work through it.
Wish there was something I could do. Even though I've been in a similar situation, I'm still at a loss as to how to help.
You can email me sometime. I'll trade you cute little girl pics!
~tuscy~
jackie--
i am sorry you are going through this. you and your family are in my prayers. i don't really know you, but you seem like a strong, thoughtful person. I know that with the Lord's help you will make it through this.
tamy (taz)
Oh Jackie, I feel awful for not having checked in on you in ages. And now I come and see this?
I want to let you know that I am holding your space; for whatever you need, whenever you need in, in any timeframe.
I honor you and this next phase of your journey. You are a strong, wise woman and an amazing mama. May the support of your "tribe" come to you in this time of need.
And lots of chocolate. :)
Love,
I'm just now learning of this, and my heart and prayers go out to everyone of you.
best of luck, J.
Brent
I haven't made the blog rounds in a while, so just like Brent I'm just finding this out now. Obviously, I haven't met you (yet), but you've always seemed like a genuinely nice and upbeat person. I hope everything works out in the end for you, I'm sure it will.
Best of luck to you. Maybe I'll see you at a game or Krannert sometime.
-MrHershey
Post a Comment
<< Home